Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Swiss Chicken

On my mission, a sweet older lady made us a yummy chicken casserole. She told us it had a surprise in it. I could tell something was different, but I didn't know until she told me, that the "secret" ingredient was Swiss cheese. I remember the casserole being really good and was excited to make it for my husband one day. Sadly, my attempt was not nearly as good as I remember her's being. But, the hubs told me that this is something his mom makes and that it always tastes that way. I guess I just remember it differently. Either that or the extra love she put into it made it that much better :)

Since then, I have seen variations on this recipe and have tried, and liked many of them. While I do like this recipe, I sometimes prefer something with a little more flavor. I've added  french onion soup mix, Italian dressing, and ham (chicken cordon bleu style!). Another recipe I have says to add 1/2-1 C of sour cream, which adds a lot of flavor. I also prefer to cut the chicken into bit sized pieces and (sometimes) add rice. But, I will give the recipe in its original form.


3-4 C cooked chicken (2 whole/4 half breasts)
6-8 slices Swiss cheese
1/3 C water
1/2 C melted butter or margarine
1 C cream of chicken soup
2 C seasoned dressing crumbs

Place Chicken in 9x13 pan. Cover with cheese. Mix soup and water. Spoon over cheese. Cover with dry dressing. Drizzle with butter.

Bake 25-30 minutes at 350

No comments:

Post a Comment