Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Stuffed Bell Peppers


This is a dish I have never had any desire to make. Until now. I have to say, it was pretty good. It reminds me of the tradition some people have of "dinner in a pumpkin". You can really put whatever you want inside. It's about the experience! I have all sorts of ideas for the next time I try this!

Since this was my first time making this, I read a few different recipes to get an idea of what to do. Then I looked at what I had around the house and got to work. Here is what I came up with.



8-10 medium bell peppers (any color would be fine)
1 1/2 cups quinoa  (uncooked)
1 med onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can black beans
1 can pino beans
1/2 - 1 lb taco meat (cook ground beef just like you would for tacos)
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp paprika (These are estimates. I usually just pour directly until it looks good)
shredded cheese (I used a cheddar jack mix)

Cook quinoa according to package directions. Preheat oven to 400.

While quinoa is cooking, heat a little bit of oil in large skillet. Add garlic and onions. Cook until onions are translucent. Add beans, meat, and spices. Cook until warm. Mix with quinoa (either in skillet or in a seperate bowl).

Slice peppers in half and take out seed and and extra "flesh" that doesn't look like you want to eat it. Put in shallow dish with about an inch of water. Microwave for about 2-3 minutes, until peppers are soft. Dump out water and place peppers in glass dish or on a cookie sheet. Fill with mixture. Top with cheese. Cook at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

NOTE: I only made 2 of these the night of, then assembled the rest and froze them. I hear they are an easy meal to freeze and that they last for a few months. I haven't eaten the frozen ones yet, but I am excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment